Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Do I confess?

We have seen some bad weather the past couple of days. Heavy rain, wind and hail but only brief intermittent storms. I work in a building with lots of windows so everyone in the offices has a pretty good view of what the weather is like at any given time throughout the day.



Working in the shipping department we face the parking lot and the shipping docks and I get to park my bike right next to the building outside the shipping desk. Many of us stroll up to the window during the day and gaze out to freedom and the busiest window is where my bike is parked, which is great for security because I can see it from my desk and I know when a truck driver is eyeing it or someone gets too close, co-workers let me know.
So when the weather turns nasty, some of the first comments I hear is about riding my motorcycle in such weather. "Why would you ride your bike today?" or " I wouldn't want to be on a motorcycle in this storm." To tell the truth, neither would I and you know what? I'm not. I'm standing right beside them staring out the same window watching the hail and rain beat against the window. I think because my bike is right there that they associate the bad weather with me riding.

Do I confess that the calmest part of the day is first thing in the morning, during the sunrise when I am riding to work? Nope, I am a hardcore, year round, wet weather rider and I laugh at the hail, wind and rain.

As motorcyclists we've learned to watch the skies, we know what to look for and we can usually predict local weather patterns during particular times of the year. We watch to see if a storm is moving North to South or from the West to the East and as it poured down rain today, 10 minutes to quitting time, I looked to the West, saw all the blue sky, waited five minutes for it to clear up and I rode home in the warmth of the sun on my face.

This time...




-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are more than welcome, however, thanks to an increase in anonymous spammers of late, you now must be a registered user to comment.

Thank you spammers!