Friday, March 15, 2013

A 'Stich in time

I have been considering purchasing an Aerostich Roadcrafter suit for several months, if not a year or more. However, due to the sudden loss of gainful employment last fall I've had to put that decision on hold.

Custom ballistics color

I've started a new job and I've been able to commute on my bike, but unfortunately I don't have any place to store my riding gear. Not only are we required to empty our pockets to pass through security, Aerostich claims to have ten pockets, we are issued small lockers not much bigger than a Trax or Happy Trails pannier and with mine being the top locker of three it is not feasible, nor very considerate to my co-workers to store dripping wet gear above. I have however, attached my tank slapping inducing top case, along with the side cases to my bike and I am strategically stuffing my gear into those. It gets a little tight with ATGATT including armor, boots, helmet and gloves... which is fine on dry days. There are covered bicycle racks outside the guard shack and on occasion I've resorted to locking my wet gear to the racks with the neon Jacket Caddy cables sent to us from Bobskoot. (Thanks Bob!)

I've mentioned in conversation that I was considering an Aerostich suit and when I asked a friend and fellow rider how he liked his new suit, he generously offered to lend me his old one...

The convenience of a one piece suit, a full length zipper and the ability to roll it up to fit in my top case sure makes life easier. I've been using it for a couple three weeks now and I don't want to give it back. If a 10 year old, worn suit is this nice, I can only imagine what  new one is like.

Although Aerostich is in San Francisco this weekend, plane tickets simply add to the cost. I'm hoping they create a pop-up store in Portland or Seattle this Spring, if not at the BMW Rally in Salem this July.





So for now I'm searching ebay, Craigslist and Aerostich Sale items for a deal in my size, at least until I can save enough pennies to pull the trigger on a new one.

A 'Stich in time... once I save nine.

14 comments:

  1. Looks like a great suit and sounds like it has lots of pocket space ... Not sure it would be so convenient for a gal riding though :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what Trobairitz says too, a wee bit inconvenient for the ladies.

      Delete
  2. Troubadour:

    I've never worn a one piece riding suit. I thought it would be cumbersome. I have a pair of those one piece mechanics overalls and it was a pain to zip it up. I'll have to try your new one when you get it, that is if I can squeeze into it. I am chubbier . . .

    Glad you like those caddys, I know I'm going to use mine a lot this summer. Too bad you couldn't change lockers and get the bottom one.

    We need another forklift report. I guess you must be an expert by now

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The great thing about Aerostich is the full length zipper design, making it easy to get into and out of the suit (they claim in 10 seconds).
      The locker is still too small and won't hold a helmet. The caddy cables work great though, I may ask the company if they'll install coat hooks and a helmet rack outside the guard shack to encourage riders to wear ATGATT to work.

      As far as the forklift report... I wouldn't say I'm an expert. You know all those appliances you see marked down due to dents and scratches? You're welcome ;)

      Delete
  3. Brad, as you can imagine, the 'Stich suits are popular around here. I kept telling myself that I'd get one when I lost a few pounds.....well, patience ran out. A used Darien Light jacket showed up online and I sprung for a new set of Light pants from Duluth. I'd advise anyone and everyone to fully suit up for every ride, but I don't. I like the flexibility of the two piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The two piece is nice as well and that's why I'm hesitant to pull the trigger, I do like the flexibility of mixing and matching my gear. I can wear my AD1 pants and switch up my jackets depending on the weather and temperature, whereas you are limited with a suit.

      Delete
  4. You should go to SF..I hear there is a great Sushi bar there....I might comeoover for the weekend and join you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can barely afford the suit, nevermind bail too.

      Delete
  5. I''ve heard that many are satisfied with their mail process of sending approximately the right size, having you figure out what needs to be changed i.e. longer here, shorter there, etc. sending it back and they make the appropriate one piece suit.At least that's what I heard the process was. But then again, maybe you need a road trip to Duluth....

    I was wary of the one piece concept until a student at a workshop in Connecticut wore one on a daily basis and demonstrated that it is under 30 sec on or off. He rode year around something like 50k miles per year on his 883 Sportster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard good things about their sizing/alteration process too. I'll have to get the tape measure out and hope for the best.

      Delete
  6. Snazzy suit! But I am with V-star lady on this one, I will keep my 2 piece outfit, easier to get out of in those "gotta go" moments. So do they measure you up for it? or do you just buy ready to wear ? Usually for me due to my height I have to chop off a foot on them. Tried to buy Kevlar jeans the other day and they were too long and even with adjustable knees the kneepads where like shin guards. So how much do these go for or do I dare asked because of the faint factor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're close to the Duluth factory or make a trip to SF this week they'll measure you for the suit, otherwise you have to be honest with yourself and send them your measurements.

      The faint factor is nine hundred dollars.

      Delete
    2. $900 smackers - yup, but in the end if you wear it a good long time and amortize it out over a couple of years, thats nothing and really the price of protection is immeasurable in the end. Unfortunately, though I also deal with the 'donut and too many goodies' factor and would be definitely afraid that I would 'out grow' it and unless its adjustable it might be a bad thing for me. LOL.

      Delete
  7. Aerostich will be hosting a pop-up event in Portland, August 7-10th, 2014 at the Milwaukie Marketplace. Check out the Aerostich website for more details!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are more than welcome, however, thanks to an increase in anonymous spammers of late, you now must be a registered user to comment.

Thank you spammers!