Thursday, February 5, 2009

My morning commute

I've been wanting to mount a camera to my bike for sometime but thought I'd wait until summer to figure out how to do it. Then Stacy mounted one on her bike and had the nerve to post how she did it.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.


I thought about wind noise and the wet weather (fog) and I tried to figure out the best way to to eliminate both. I considered wrapping the camera in a ziplock bag and then dub over the audio with music. Instead, I had an epiphany, standing out in the cold garage I noticed the dash on my cafe fairing was just big enough to house a camera.



I drilled a hole in the dash, took a mounting knob off a small tripod I had kicking around and mounted the camera for a trial run on my commute the next morning. I took another video on my way home and loaded both videos on YouTube and then started playing around with iMovie. Here is my first video and editing job.



A much better ride and a lot less traffic than the four lanes of Speedway 34.


EDIT: as per Stacy's request, the camera I used is a Kodak CX7530.



à tout à l’heure


-

4 comments:

  1. That's nice and all, but you left out the most important part: what camera did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used my Kodak CX7530, the brick of digital cameras. It has served me well and takes great pics. I dropped the video quality as my memory card is only 256MB, great for pics but doesn't make for long video time. I will get a better card and try it at higher quality when the sun is higher in the sky and the trees leaf out. It is a nice ride, even if I am headed to work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I'm a geek and these things interest me. I've been thinking about shooting some footage from my little Olympus digicam. Like yours, the video quality is not HD, but I have a 2Gb flash card and could take video for hours, unlike the Flip mino.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I 'followed' you here from ActualRiders.com where I am a member (aka TexasShadow). I missed your introduction....I'm from Corvallis, too!!!
    My daughter is still there (Albany) and she is a motorcycle mechanic. I guess I'll be back for a visit within the year; she's getting married, and I plan on riding around Oregon for two weeks.
    Perhaps we can meet for lunch at Squirrels (is it still there??)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are more than welcome, however, thanks to an increase in anonymous spammers of late, you now must be a registered user to comment.

Thank you spammers!