Sunday, April 28, 2019

And She's A Lot Like You...


After coffee last week, Andy and I were wanting to go for a ride. Without a plan or a route in mind, we couldn't decide which way to go. Fortunately, Andy is a walking GPS and off the top of his head linked together several short stints of backroads to make for a great afternoon of riding. I was quite happy to follow along, singing a song, and not having to plan a route. It's not that I don't have any sense of direction, I just don't know which way to go and can easily end up riding around in circles.

We stopped at Salmon Falls Park and walked down to the falls. I'd never been out there before, and it had been several years since Andy had been camping up the creek nearby.










Plenty of nice swimming holes to jump into, and pools to relax, I'm sure it's crowded in the summer


Andy posing for the new Klim catalogue



We rode a little further up to where the pavement ends, but with the grey skies and recent rain the road was a wee bit muddy and we weren't up for picking up our bikes. So we turned around, headed into town and ended up at a motorcycle dealership to peruse their wares. I was hoping to catch a glimpse of the highly acclaimed KTM 790 Adventure R... no luck. They did have a few KTM 790 Dukes that tempted Geoff James into tomfoolery and shenanigans.

We hummed and hawed, sat on a few bikes and made vroom vroom noises...

And not to say I don't have my own temptress, and seriously considered this pavement princess. 

2018 Kawasaki Z900RS


It was a great afternoon and a great ride, but something had been bothering me for a while. Because I didn't have to plan this route, I was able to follow along mindlessly and it gave me all afternoon to ponder other things.


All this temptation was too much to handle, 






What to do? What to do?

Well, you do what any foolish minded motorcyclist would do.

Simply compound the problem by adding yet another bike to the fleet.



2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XRT



Of course we had to go for a ride




For some reason this tree at Muddy Creek Charter School has been the go to place for new bike pics. I don't know why, as it's not particularly pretty, and we're always fighting trash cans and caution tape in the background. But tradition is tradition, so we rode all the way down south of Corvallis to continue said tradition.





Brandy sticking her tongue out at me

So Lucy is currently sitting in the garage. I'll take her into work one day, then list her for sale for someone else to love.

We had some great times together, thanks for the memories,
but I've got a new girl now...  and she's a lot like you.







~ It's hard to forget someone who gave you so much to remember.




19 comments:

  1. Nice. That's a lovely motor you've got there. Now to see it all covered in...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it did come with an extra set of Mitas tires, so I'm sure it will eventually see some mud once the newness wears off... or someone leads me down a rabbit hole.

      Delete
  2. Leaking tyre? (plus all that other stuff) You clearly need a new bike! I like it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to cut your losses some time, and I'm really enjoying how far technology has come in 10 years.
      And thanks!

      Delete
  3. New motorcycle! Nice. Too bad about Lucy though....I recently went through a similar experience but ended up keeping Scarlett, the 2014 Ural rig. Perhaps repairs will be cheap enough to keep Lucy as a spare....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucy has had her share of repairs in the last 8 years, from a sprag clutch, a stepper motor, cracked oil pan, wheel bearings, to a new rectifier. Not to mention when that deer hit me and took out my saddlebag and fog lamp. Now internal bearings and steering head bearing... if it weren't for insurance I would keep her as a spare, and still might.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on your choice Brad - an excellent weapon both on road and on dirt. However, your argument (excuses) for getting another bike sounds almost as weak as mine - aimed in part at getting permission from the love of our lives ;-) . Oh cynical me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Geoff, there wasn't too much argument as I've been looking at Tiger 800s since they were first introduced in 2011. Needless to say, she knew.
      While at the dealership Saturday I thought of you and asked about the KTM 790 Adventure, but all 12 on order were already pre-sold. Tigers seem to suit me better anyway.

      Delete
  5. Ah yes, bearing issues. I'm about to start tearing down one of my KZs to replace said bearing. Hope that's all I find wrong. Like the new wheels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may or may not tear into this one, as I've resigned to the fact that my KZ will never run again, I'm not sure I need two basket cases.
      ...and thanks

      Delete
  6. Sweet! And I'm so jealous! Just love those additions to the family

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, although not to make you jealous, I too appreciate the n+1 equation.

      Delete
  7. Happy trails with your new gal, Brad. It's a pretty one. I'm sure your CFO approves ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Sonja, my CFO about gave up on me finding a new bike. She's happy that I'm happy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats mate on the new bike. It could be called the White Pearl.
    Good to see some bike posts again, I sadly have lost motivation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not to insult Lucy but the new ride sure is pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are more than welcome, however, thanks to an increase in anonymous spammers of late, you now must be a registered user to comment.

Thank you spammers!