Sunday, March 18, 2018

Looking for gloves

...in all the wrong places, looking for gloves in too many faces.

When we visit motorcycle shops we generally stroll through the showroom, straddle a bike or twelve, then amble over to the clothing and apparel department. Having a closet full of old jackets at home and a couple of Aerostich suits means that I rarely try on jackets anymore. I have a scuffed up pair of Aerostich AD1 pants and a beat up Tourmaster Transition jacket I wear for gravel rides and spontaneous round-about spills on my DRZ.

I am very happy with both pairs of my Sidi boots, especially my Discovery Rain ADV boots, so I'm not in the market for boots for a while.

Trying on helmets doesn't interest me much either as I have a long oval head, so I have a pretty good idea of what will and will not fit my oblong melon, the Arai Profile... or so I thought. Arai recently redesigned the Profile, renamed it Signet-X and it won't fit my head, but the Shoei Neotec modular does... now. I've been waiting years to try a modular helmet, well worth the wait. Love it.

Helmets and boots are the two things you want to try on and buy from your local shop to keep them in business. It would be nice to buy all our gear from local brick and mortar, mom and pop shops. The only problem with that is local shops have to carry what's popular and what sells, which is typically leather.

Hence the never ending search, and a lot of trial and error of ordering online for a good pair of vegan gloves, hell, I'd settle for a half decent pair. Sometimes you have to go cheap to get manmade materials, careful what you wish for...

I wrote to Joe Rocket recently, asking if they manufactured vegan gloves and I received a reply with a long list of "vegan friendly" gloves. I had my eye on the Joe Rocket Ballistic Ultra gloves and placed an order through Rocky Mountain ATV/MC.



I received the gloves within a few days, tried them on and accepted them for what they were, an inexpensive "vegan friendly" glove. I tore the packaging open, and tossed the gloves next to my helmet and the rest of my gear, not giving them much thought. I rode to work that week, grabbed the gloves to try them and accepted them for what they were, an inexpensive "vegan friendly" glove.

It wasn't until the weekend, when we went to coffee and a ride afterward that I discovered that they weren't as friendly as I was led to believe.


1% "Genuine Leather"
I found it interesting that if manufacturers are going to add leather to their gloves, even if it's only 1% it should be of the highest quality "Genuine Leather", as opposed to what.... imitation leather?

Leather is leather is leather, if it's synthetic then it's not leather, so I wish they'd stop calling it synthetic leather. I understand that leather unfortunately does come from different sources, such as a cow, a kangaroo, or a corinthian.

Although I've yet to meet a Corinthian.





I wrote back to Joe Rocket mentioning my disappointment, thinking that there was nothing I could do but turn a blind eye and keep the gloves. I received a reply letting me know that the representative that I emailed originally no longer worked for Joe Rocket and if they may be of some assistance. Now I've worked in customer service most of my career, so I know to ask what the customer wants and then offer them what you can do. I told them that I had worn the gloves and tossed the packaging, believing that these were truly vegan friendly gloves, however I would accept a full refund from Rocky Mountain.
Expecting nothing, I was surprised when I received a reply stating that is exactly what they would do. Really?!? I looked up the email address of whom I was corresponding with to find it was Joe Rocket's distributor, Rocky Mountain's supplier. Return the lightly used gloves and Rocky Mountain ATV/MC would issue me a full refund and that would take care of everything on their end.
Now I don't know if they looked up my account and realized that I spend hundreds, if not into the thousands of dollars with RM ATV/MC, but wow that's customer service.

Prior to this I shared the list that Joe Rocket had originally sent me in a vegan group, and afterward had to go back and edit it stating that these gloves were not vegan after all. I suspect that a certain friend (even though it is rare that vegans have many friends) somehow discovered my dilemma and offered some help.





Don from 2Vegans2Wheels had a pair of vegan gloves he had ordered but were too small and offered to send them to me. Don is a tall guy so I was certain these gloves would fit, and they do. My search was over! What I didn't realize was how well constructed these gloves were and I immediately looked them up.





Motoport Racing Glove
Motoport also makes a winter glove, which I'll be ordering as soon as they come available. They also make jackets, pants, and suits. Although I'm a fan of Aerostich, they haven't been able to find a replacement for their discontinued vegan gloves...

Aerostich Vegan Gloves - www.utmc-forum.org

Motoport now fills that need, thanks Don...







18 comments:

  1. I've many pairs of gloves, each pair for differing temperature ranges. Finding ones that fit, via online methods has not been easy, like you its better to go local and see how things fit. Recently bought some "tactical" gloves which promised some insulation in cold weather with electronics friendly finger pads....they seem OK, took forever to get to me though....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, like you I have several pairs of gloves each for a different temperature range. But, eventually gloves do wear out and it is nice just to have one "go to" pair, either summer or winter/rain. I hope I found that with Motoport.
      I looked at tactical gloves, but most were made of goatskin. I do have several offroad/dirtbike gloves I wear when I don't need protection against asphalt.

      Delete
  2. I’m impressed with your customer service experience with Rocky Mountain. I was looking at the Sidi Discovery Rain boots but I keep procrastinating. For now, I’m making do with a pair of “water proof” boots from Sam’s Club. All of $25. I keep trying new gloves but keep going back to a pair that Bridget got me over ten years ago when I first started riding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had good luck with RM ATV/MC and pretty good deals, now excellent customer service. These new to me gloves from Don will be my "go to" summer gloves, my Alpinestar DryStars will get me through until Motoport restocks their winter gloves and I get on the list for next year.

      Delete
  3. Geez man your not eating the gloves, just wearing them.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer the leather to stay on the cow, besides, leather's kinda chewy.

      Delete
  4. Impressive customer service, indeed, Brad. Sure worth mentioning. Such would never happen in Germany if you were not able to present the original packaging and the bill along with the unused (!) goods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had nothing to lose by asking; I'm impressed with their response and offer. I didn't expect this at all, but by doing so they kept a happy customer happy.

      Delete
  5. "Vegan gloves" is a new term for me. I assume it's just another word(s) for textile only, correct? Great customer service from Joe Rocket though. Nice to hear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, textile or man made materials only. Vegans don't eat animals, dairy, eggs, or honey, nor do we use any animal products such as leather, suede, wool, down, or silk. It can be difficult at times, and we have to be diligent, but it's good to know that no animals were harmed by our purchases.
      I will hand it to Joe Rocket for great customer service, and I hope they take this opportunity to produce high quality textile gloves and other gear to meet the growing demand.

      Delete
  6. Troubador, I'm impressed with your commitment to being vegan. I must admit I hadn't thought it was possible to be 100% vegan with riding gear - my boots are leather although everything else is textile.
    I'm also amazed at the customer service you got - pretty sure here in the UK the answer would have been 'sod off'.
    What a great post, I'd love to share it with my vegan friends, but as you rightly say, we don't have any!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not a vegan but do like the look of the Joe Rocket gloves. The Rocket logo does appeal as well. But 1% leather? Why? Where?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joe Rocket does seem to be popular. This was my first purchase of their product, and while the gloves were decent for the price, the gauntlet cuff was a tad short considering these were waterproof gloves. The 1% leather I assume was around the outer edge of the cuff, and I don't know why (other than cost) as canvas material would've worked much better.


      Delete
  8. I want a pair of those winter gloves too. But then again, I'd take some warmer weather in the meantime :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we would welcome warmer weather as well. Love the gloves, thank you again Don.

      Delete
  9. Good that they stood by their product and gave you great service.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Still got my first pair of Cortech red padded gloves from 11 years ago. I added a second black pair for dsyd when I want my stuff to match, but mostly I reach for my red ones. They have been with me on so many adventures.
    Last year, unbeknownest to me at the time, they were left on the side walk outside our grocery store. They must have fallen off the scoot when I wad losing the groceries. Some kind soul turned them into customer service and I got them back within a few hours. Whew.
    Are they vegan? I need to ask them. They never order a burger at the drive through, so maybe! :-)
    Hope you find what you are looking for in a glove!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a pair of Alpinestars Transition gloves which I find good for cool to cold weather, another option perhaps. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-transition-drystar-gloves

    ReplyDelete

Comments are more than welcome, however, thanks to an increase in anonymous spammers of late, you now must be a registered user to comment.

Thank you spammers!