Sunday, April 6, 2014

Huh? Wha? Is it Spring?

No worries, I didn't miss the first day of Spring. I did manage to ride, although it was just my mundane, uneventful, 22 mile commute along a fairly straight, four lane highway, it was still a ride nonetheless.

Evidently, I seemed to have disappeared from the blogosphere (Trobairitz keeps my updated on everyone) as my job has taken me away from the computer and somewhat off the grid. This is a good thing, I am enjoying my new job and find it hard to believe it has been over a year. I've finally earned some vacation time now and look forward to some rides this summer.

We managed to get out once this year for a couple of covered bridge photos that Trobairitz wrote about, but that is all so far. The weather just seems to be so slow to warm up and the Oregon rain is making the pleasant and dry riding days few and far between.



I've been keeping busy in the garage chasing an electrical gremlin and charging issue in the Tiger by replacing a rectifier, only to discover that the culprit was simply a 30 amp fuse. Fortunately, I was able to return the rectifier and put the old one back in. Who knew the charging system was fused?




Then recently, I  wired both of our bikes up with Hyperlites, because you know, once I get something working fine I can't just leave it well enough alone.


These are great lights and seem to be doing exactly what they are designed to do, waking up inattentive drivers.

Other than a bit of yard work, a few honey do projects here and there, and one weekend teaching, it has been a quiet Spring so far.

I did manage to sneak a solo ride up to Oregon City this weekend for a Team Oregon instructor update presented by our very own Intrepid Commuter.  It was a good day, as I learned a lot and I was able to meet other instructors that I had not met before, and catch up with a few instructors I've either worked with or known prior.

I enjoyed the ride home, pretty much staying dry for most of it, but I realize how out of shape I am for riding. Less than one hundred miles and I was ready to get off the bike. Not only do we need to sharpen our mental focus coming out of hibernation, apparently physical reconditioning is required as well.

Happy Spring!





21 comments:

  1. Trobadour:

    the worst thing is to buy something expensive to fix something that doesn't need fixing. I've had fuses too that looked good but weren't. Glad you found the problem. Perhaps you need to buy a VOM/Multimeter

    There's nothing like booking vacation and taking them when you want

    bob
    A weekend photographer or Riding the Wet Coast


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a multimeter which read 11.5v with the bike running, making me suspect the rectifier. I was surprised to learn the charging system had a fuse and that the bike started as such.

      Vacation is good. Last job, bad.

      Delete
  2. I hope you are getting ready to get dirty again.. best work out I have had in quite some time.. Good job on wiring up the LEDs. I went and rode about 50 miles around town here and enjoyed this afternoon's ample sunshine. We'll get hooked up and you'll have to ride the trials bike and then you will know that you just have to get one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't need a trials bike, you just need two trials bikes. We'll go get dirty soon, Huckleberry should be drying out some and Brown's camp looks like fun.

      Delete
  3. You're fortunate that they took back the regulator. Usually there is no return on electrical items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a very expensive relationship with my Triumph dealer, and for some foolish reason he seems to trust me.

      Delete
  4. If it weren't for Trobairitz we wouldn't know how you're fairing. Glad to hear, the job worked out well even if it means that you have to get off the grid for it. Enjoy spring and summer. It's riding time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am fairing well and I'm going to make an effort to ride more and blog more this year. I am not working at a computer anymore so the blog suffered.

      Delete
  5. Dang....lost another post. Darn ipad!! After Trobairitz's post on the blinky taillights, I had to mention them to Ron. They're on my short list of mods when I get back in the game. I wondered if you were still doing Team Oregon. Cool! I'm still a big believer in the classes. May even have to take a refresher when I'm back to riding again. Best to you and Brandy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't ipad, I try to use Brandy's i pad but I am not the most delicate or quick touch as she is, I get frustrated when six windows open all at once when all I wanted was to scroll down a page.
      The Hyperlites do work, traffic does seem to back off at stoplights.
      I am still with Team Oregon and having a great time. Hope you get back soon, we miss you.

      Delete
  6. I've had Hyperlites on a couple of different bikes. I always felt slightly safer with those back there. I should see about getting them for the Gold Wing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like them, it gives texting drivers behind me a bit of a wake up.

      Delete
  7. It's funny how we chase things on our bikes only to find it was an inexpensive fix in the end, glad you could return the part. I have been thinking of getting these lights for my bike as well. As for fitness I am working on that issue myself. Hope you get out this weekend, it's supposed to be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the bike to where everything works fine, now if I can just leave it alone. I recommend the lights, seem to be doing their job.
      We've been getting out lately, but not on the bikes. Many of our shrubs and trees took a hit from the exceptionally cold winter, so we've been in the yard digging and yanking out dead plants. It is fitness nonetheless.

      Delete
  8. Happy Spring!

    Glad to see you starting a new venture. I hope you love your new job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brad better a job you enjoy than a computer you have to sit in front of. Glad to hear you are enjoying the new job and getting out with Team Oregon for another season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear friends complain about their email inboxes and having to answer phones fifteen minutes before quitting time, and I don't miss it one bit. I get to clock out and go home, on time.
      Thanks, I am having a great time with Team Oregon and I am looking forward to this season.

      Delete
  10. Congrats on the new job and milestone. I've been busy with two jobs for a while now but hope to be able to do a few trips this year including a long one in October for the 3rd Yamaha Super Tenere Rally in Arkansas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks George, I am excited to finally take time off and to really enjoy it, rather than having to worry about the workload I would be walking into upon my return.
      Enjoy the rally, I look forward to the write up and photos to come.

      Delete
  11. Holy cow. that picture of all that wiring laying about gets my OCD flared up!! Ok I'm gonna calm down now. :) The first few rides of the year require a mandatory nap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wiring wasn't too bad, once I found the brake light harness. Then I just talked myself through it.

      +1 on the naps.

      Delete

Comments are more than welcome, however, thanks to an increase in anonymous spammers of late, you now must be a registered user to comment.

Thank you spammers!