Sunday, August 24, 2008

Weatherguessers

"When you're right, no one remembers. When you're wrong, no one forgets." This must to be the life motto of a meteorologist.

I must say that last Thursday the weather forecast was not only right but right on the nose. Rain showers were predicted for the morning and expected to clear up by noon opening up to sunshine and warmer temperatures. I had my doubts as I rode into work that morning in the rain and then watched it through my office window drown my bike for the rest of the morning.
But, you could have set your watch by it, because at 12:00 noon the rain stopped, the sunshine came out and I thought how the local meteorologists never get the recognition they deserve when they do get it right. I would suspect that they are right more often than not, it is just not the outcome we want to hear and we have a tendency to blame them for the bad news. They don't produce the weather, they study it and report their findings. I have to congratulate them on a job well done, they are under appreciated. Keep up the great work!

My signature on many of the forums in which I participate, is a quote from Mark Twain: "Climate is what we expect, weather is what we get".

A mild storm is expected to arrive this evening bringing a chance of rain. Of course, I just washed my bike...again.

1 comment:

  1. The weather guessers do take a lot of heat. They give us a general idea and it's up to us to be prepared. Where you really have to appreciate the weather folks is when they give us advanced warning of major weather issues. Those events have a major impact. The rest is just part of life!

    Besides, a little bit of the surprise element is good for us.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are more than welcome, however, thanks to an increase in anonymous spammers of late, you now must be a registered user to comment.

Thank you spammers!